Is It Necessary to Hire a Paralegal For a Small Claims Court Case?
Small Claims Court Does Not Mean Simple Court!
Cases Can Be Brought for Up to $35,000 involving Complex Legal Matters and While Laypersons Are Permitted to Represent Themselves, Professional Paralegal Representation Likely Offers the Greatest Chance For Success.
Get the Experience of Reder Aylwin Gillis Protecting Your Rights At the Small Claims Court!
The Small Claims Court handles legal cases involving claims for the payment of money or claims for the recovery of possession of personal property where the amount claimed is $35,000 or less. Interest and costs such as court fees and legal representation fees are in addition, as over and above, this $35,000 limit. Additionally, the $35,000 is applicable on a per Plaintiff basis; and accordingly, Small Claims Court cases that involve more than one Plaintiff may involve claims involving multiples of the $35,000 limit.
Whereas the Small Claims Court jurisdiction is limited to cases involving claims seeking the return of property or the payment of money of up to $35,000 such can be found by reading section 23(1) of the Courts of Justice Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.43 together with section 1 of regulation O. Reg. 626/00 which specifically state:
23 (1) The Small Claims Court,
(a) has jurisdiction in any action for the payment of money where the amount claimed does not exceed the prescribed amount exclusive of interest and costs; and
(b) has jurisdiction in any action for the recovery of possession of personal property where the value of the property does not exceed the prescribed amount.
Ministry of the Attorney General
Reder Aylwin Gillis handles Small Claims Court litigation disputes within these, among other, types of cases:
- Breach of contract disputes including collection of debts and receivables as well as disputes over real estate deposits, and much more!
- Tort law claims including latent property defects with respect to real estate, and much more!
- Construction law cases including faulty workmanship allegations, and much more!
Reder Aylwin Gillis offers the following services:
- Commencing & Defending Court Actions - Preparation of Plaintiff’s Claim, Defendant’s Claim, and Defence documents
- Court Attendances - Appearing at Small Claims Court in Oshawa, Toronto, Lindsay, Peterborough, Cobourg, and others on a case-by-case basis
- Legal Position Letters & Offer to Settle Letters - Ideal when you wish to make an offer to resolve your matter before proceeding through the Small Claims Court, or if you need to respond to a demand letter from an opposing party
- Preparation and Commissioning of Affidavits - preparation and commissioning of Affidavits for a reasonable fee of $25.00 for up to three (3) pages including photocopies of your original documents and $5.00 for each additional page per document
- Judgment Collections - enforcement assistance of an award from the Small Claims Court by working with a private investigator who can assist in locating assets (such as bank accounts, employers, etc.) to help collect awards by way of a garnishment of wages, a garnishment of bank accounts, a writ of seizure and sale of property, among other means
- Process Serving - affordable flat rates without hidden fees or extra charges for mileage to get documents served the right way for a competitive flat rate
- Skip Tracing - affiliate relations with a private investigator enables effective skip tracing and investigation services to uncover a home address, an employer, or a bank account, among other details, and all obtained in a cost-effective manner
Reder Aylwin Gillis has the knowledge and experience to effectively represent you in the Small Claims Court whether you are looking to commence a lawsuit against an individual or business or if you need help defending a lawsuit.
Reder Aylwin Gillis provides Small Claims Court services as a Paralegal in:
Learn More About
Small Claims Court:
A Small Claims Court proceeding begins with the issuing of a Plaintiff's Claim document followed by service of the Plaintiff's Claim document upon the...Learn More
The areas of law for focus within a legal practice may be broad and generalized or specifically narrow to a particular niche.Learn More
Similar to the rules of procedure applicable to other courts, the Small Claims Court also has a formal set of procedural rules. Additionally, the Small Claims...Learn More